Coronavirus (COVID-19) is a new sickness of respiratory system caused by a new virus. It is a family of hundreds of viruses. Symptoms of this illness range from a mild cough, fever, shortness of breath and might lead to pneumonia and also gastrointestinal symptoms. Some patients are likely to recover faster, whereas some patients may get very sick super-fast. As per the evidence coronavirus spreads from person to person. Very good hygiene can prevent from this infection.
The health authorities have been monitoring the respiratory illness outbreak caused by coronavirus (COVID-19). This alert is as per the latest medical advice and official reports.
What is coronavirus (COVID-19)?
Coronavirus is a new illness called COVID-19 and can lead to fever, cough and shortness of breath. It is caused by a virus called coronavirus. Coronaviruses are a large family of viruses that makes humans and animals ill. They cause illness that can range from the common flu or cold to more severe illness. The New Coronavirus was first detected in China and has been spreading around the world. Since Dec 2019, the coronavirus has caused a global health emergency, affecting about 100000 people around the world, and has killed about 3,000 people, Currently there are so many confirmed cases in most of the countries. Investigations are made to learn about the coronavirus. It was first reported in Wuhan City in China, other coronaviruses are Middle East Respiratory Syndrome (MERS) and Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS).
Symptoms can range from mild to severe respiratory illness and can also lead to pneumonia. Some patients might recover easily, while others may get very sick. People with coronavirus may experience the following symptoms:
- Flu-like symptoms
- Sore throat and fatigue
- Shortness of breath
Health authorities believe that the symptoms may appear in as few as two days or as long as fourteen days after exposure to the virus.
Who is at risk?
Highest cases of coronavirus (COVID-19) are found in China, Wuhan City, Hubei Province.
People most at risk of getting the virus are those who have:
- People who have recently been to China, Italy, Iran, and South Korea
- People been in close contact with patients who are confirmed cases of coronavirus
How it spreads?
In most of the early cases the evidence were found that the persons had contact with animal market and seafood got the virus.
The virus is likely to spread by:
- Close contact with an infectious person
- Spreads from person-to-person by droplets of sneezing and coughing of an infected person.
- Touching objects or surfaces (like door handles, lift buttons, work stations, etc.) that have cough or sneeze droplets from an infected person, and then touching your mouth, eyes, nose, and face.
There is no vaccine to prevent coronavirus; simple steps can help to stop the spread of coronavirus. Practise good hygiene to protect against any infections. Surgical masks are helpful in preventing people who have coronavirus disease from spreading it to other people. If you are healthy, you don’t require to wear the surgical mask.
Good hygiene are:
- Wash your hands with soap and water for at least 20 seconds.
- If soap and water are not available, use a hand sanitizer.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, mouth and face with unclean hands.
- Avoid close contact with people who are ill.
- Stay home when you are ill.
- Always cover your sneeze or cough with a tissue, dispose the tissue in the trash.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces.
- If you are a confirmed case of coronavirus, you need to isolate to prevent it from spreading to other people.
If you become ill and feel you may have symptoms of coronavirus, contact the health authority immediately.
Book an appointment with the health authority. Inform the health authority about your symptoms and any close contact you had with someone who has coronavirus.
When you leave your home to see the doctor, wear a surgical mask to protect others.
If you have serious issues like breathing problems call the heath authority of your area for emergency medical help.
As of now there is no treatment for coronavirus, but medical care can treat most of the symptoms. Even antibiotics do not work on coronaviruses. If you have been diagnosed with coronavirus, isolate yourself at home.
How to isolate?
Don’t visit public places, such as workplace, school, shopping malls or university. If possible, ask other people to get food and necessities for you and leave them at your door. Stay with people who usually live with. Don’t let in visitors to your home. You don’t need to wear a mask at home. If you need to leave home to seek medical attention, wear a surgical mask to protect healthy people.